Sunday, November 22, 2015

#KogiDecides - A Short Experience on Nigeria Election (#INEC)

#KogiDecides
From my experience as a PO at Ilorin, Kwara State, in the last General Election; some of these Collation Officers are confused. You hear someone say, how can your Total Vote Cast be lesser than the Accredited Voters? Like I should go and drag people from their houses to come cast their vote abi? What should be their concern, is that Votes Cast shouldn't be more than Accredited voters. In as much as we shouldn't disenfranchise anyone, there are instructions on the commencement of voting process and closing of such process.
Also, in as much as security operatives
needs to put more efforts, the people have a role to play in improving our electioneering process in Nigeria. People are not patient enough to listen to instructions. People don't mind to be used as tools by politicians to disturb election all because of money.
Even the agents are not excluded from hampering the smooth process of election in Nigeria. They always try to cause a scene in most Polling Unit, so that they can have their way to 'rig the election'. They even try to buy the loyalty of Presiding Officers even before election begin. I remembered, while I was carrying out my activity at the Emir's Palace Ilorin West, at Polling Unit 10, a party agent approached me and offered to give me 40k and the others 20k each, he said its an arrangement by his party(name withheld). After voting commenced, I noticed the young man trying to control the queue and decide who comes to vote and who shouldn't be allowed to vote. Immediately, I called security operatives to put him to order, which they did. Imagine if I had collected what he offered me, would I have the 'mouth' to tell him to stop his disturbance, or what if the electorates heard I was given money, wouldn't I have been lynched by aggrieved voters?
INEC needs to put an end to the abysmal function of the Card Reader. The Card Reader is mostly always slow in Accrediting voters, this in-turn always cripple election processes and develop anxiety of being disenfranchise by citizens.
In my experience, the Incidence Form that is always given is not always very much available, as I had to travel down to the collation centre many times, to collect incidence form when my Card Reader was 'dancing Skelewu'.
#Kogi Election is actually going on well to me, as INEC is doing the needed by cancelling any Polling Unit that experience any dint of violence. No need to risk the lives of young men and women, to harmful thugs.
Forwarded via GlitzPlusEnt® Email Services, network provided by Airtel Nigeria.


No comments:

Post a Comment