Wednesday, November 26, 2014

AGAIN, MEET ONE OF UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN BEST GRADUATING STUDENT

Osho Samuel himself...


Here I am again; I promised you all that I will be introducing one of the outstanding products from the Premier University, University of Ibadan this week (#MeetOneofUniversityofIbadanBestGraduatingStudent). Knowing fully well that ‘promise is a debt’, I have sincerely had sleepless nights and less social days in catching up with this brilliant graduate, so as to make this interview published. Last week, I introduce to you a fantastic lad, who finished top of the faculty of Science with a CGPA of 6.6/7, this time around, I will be introducing to you one of the very best from the faculty of Engineering who graduated with a CGPA of 6.7/7. His name is Osho Samuel Adetunji, he graduated from the department of Mechanical Engineering in the 2013/2014 academic year. He tells me how the journey has been and what it took him to accomplish such feat.
Please, do not forget the intent of this column or article; ‘to show the world what product Nigeria/Africa can produce when it comes to providing excellence in academic and innovative ideas’. This is also aimed at telling the Nigerian government that we the Youth can do extraordinary things and still remain the hope of this country, they just need to believe in ‘us’.
Next week, I will be introducing to you, the best graduating student of the University of Ibadan, for the 2013/2014 academic session. Believe me; you would not want to miss this interview, as the person in question is a motivating story to ladies across Africa. She is the perfect attestation to the African saying that “what a man can do, a woman can do better”. Subscribe to this blog so you will not miss this upcoming interview. But for the main time, savour this brilliant and coordinated response from my friend Osho Samuel below:


Can you give me a brief introduction about yourself and what you are presently involved in?

 
More than two decades ago when I started the journey of life, I was christened Osho Samuel Adetunji. I am a graduate of Mechanical Engineering from the nation’s premier University, University of Ibadan. I hail from Aiyede in Ekiti State though born, bred and buttered in the largest city in West Africa; Ibadan. I am a writer cum Public Speaker who believes that journalists have a key role to play in nation building. At the moment, I am joyfully serving the nation as a corp member in Ministry of Agriculture, Umuahia, Abia State. 
How easy was it to graduate with a first class, especially in Engineering, giving your type of course?

It is highly imperative to state emphatically that my course; Mechanical Engineering is regarded as the Father of engineering due to its wide range of application. The course no doubt has a broad horizon which gives room for students to explore the creativity in them. If on a scale of 1-10 where 10 is the easiest, I will like to say that the easiness to graduate with a first class in my course stands at 6. 
What attracted you to the course initially?

My strong proclivity for the course started from my secondary school days; I was opportune to attend Oladipo Alayande School of Science where I was consistently exposed to the rudiments of Science. I discovered my proficiency in subjects involving calculations and strong desire for solving problems around me. I actually wanted to study Petroleum Engineering because of my love for Organic Chemistry. However, after a memorable chat with one of my mentors, he advised me and successfully convinced me to put in for Mechanical Engineering which is not as streamlined as Petroleum Engineering.

Which other course could have appealed to you if you didn’t get Mechanical Engineering?
Due to my love for Sciences, Petroleum Engineering would have been my second love and assuming I was never a Science student, I would have studied Law. 

How was your performance from your elementary school till you gained admission to the university?
During my formative years, I was an ordinary student with a drive to succeed. In elementary school, I did not make the list of school prefects, I was just known for my exceptional mastery of Geography subject where I got an award as the best student in SSS3. I was an easy going lad who was well above average. 

Which part of your course(s) did you love most, and which part did you find challenging?
I love Material Science, Thermo fluids and courses involving calculations. Abstract courses were very challenging.

What was your inspiration?
During my days in school, there were moments of frustration and despondency. God is my source of inspiration and His words breathes life into hopeless situations which gives the needed strength to carry on. The inspiring stories of senior colleagues who passed through the gloomy tunnels I found myself were of great help.

What did you do differently to have such an outstanding result?
The secret of the outstanding result is embedded in two key principles I used in school; time management and positive influence. I saw time as a commodity of excellence which when invested at the right moment in a fertile soil will yield bountiful harvest. Time is to be invested and not wasted. The second is realizing that lone rangers go fast but they don’t go far and that a tree cannot make a forest. I kept friends who influenced me positively to give positive results. Two good heads are better than one. I attend my departmental tutorials to learn from my classmates and also had a reading partner. The energy of the synergy was enough to propel both of us to the zenith of the class.

Where you leading your class? And when did you start leading your class?
Yes. I would like to say that it was not an easy task to lead over forty brilliant individuals from 100L to 500L.

You had such an impressive performance. Do you still remember all your GPAs from 100L to 500L?
Yes, I do. In my first year in school, I had a GPA of 6.7, in my sophomore year I finished with a GPA of 6.6. In my third year, I had a GPA of 6.7 while in my penultimate year I had a GPA of 7.0. I ended my final year with a GPA of 6.7 and a CGPA of 6.7/7.0.

Did you take any major decision(s) when you got to school that helped you eventually?
Yes, I decided to learn as much as I can learn. Knowing fully well that progress in life can be measured by the new things we learn each blessed day. The innate desire to learn is foundational to any meaningful success. Another decision which helped was choosing my friends especially those who challenged me in all areas of my life.

Would you say you are a genius or you were a product of hard work?
This question brought to my remembrance the words of America’s most prolific inventor also known as Wizard of Menlo Park, Thomas Edison, he said that; “Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration”. This quote in a way describes my belief about my personality. I work hard by studying my books but I still depend on God for inspiration and sound mind. While I was in school, I was not slothful with my studies or relying on some sort of talismanic ingenuity of a genius.

Talking about your days as an undergraduate, what was your typical day like?
While in school I was involved in quite a number of co-curricular activities. My typical day entailed attend lectures, attend press functions, present a program on Diamond FM, teaching of A’ Level students at a tutorial centre outside school, read my books and attend mid-week service at my fellowship. 

How frequently did you use the library?
I seldom make use of the Central Library except at the beginning of the semester (to get in the studying mode) and if there is a consistent power outage in the school premises.

During exams, what was your schedule like in terms of reading, sleeping and possibly going out with friends?
In my first year, I had an obnoxious experience with one of my Mathematics tests; I read throughout the night preparing for the test only to see the question paper for the test and blank out. It was as if my brain was blocked and I could not reason out the simple questions because I had over-worked the brain. It was at that moment I made a decision to reduce stress on my brain during exams especially if it is a course involving calculations. I sleep well for at least six hours before exams and just do a little bit of revision in the morning before the exam. I live my normal life during exams; I go for my tutorials, fellowship meetings, write my articles, present my programs on radio and go for press functions so far it does not clash with the scheduled time of exam.

Aside from academic stuffs, what other things did you engage yourself with while in school?
Wow! This is the most interesting part of my stay in University of Ibadan. I was actively involved in campus journalism and an active member of Union of Campus Journalist (UCJ). As a campus journalist, I was a member of the Zik Hall Press Organization (ZHPO) and Tech Press Organization (TPO) where I held key positions. I co-founded a famous column on campus; THE COURTROOM (www.dcourtroom.wordpress.com) with my long-time friend; Tijani Mayowa. I also volunteered for the University community radio station; DIAMOND 101.1 FM where I served as a Sports presenter and analyst. As a lover of teaching, I tutored and mentored hundreds of students in Mathematics for WAEC, JAMB, POST-UTME, A’ Levels and SAT examinations at ELECTS Academy. I was also an active member of National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) where I served as the Programs Chair.

How social were you in school?
I would like to affirm the fact that the word social is a relative. In a world lost in the avalanche of technological advancement, socialization has been misinterpreted and used as a certificate to legalize some vices. From my perspective, to be social means your ability to relate effectively with people on different rungs of the social cadre. I enjoy meeting new people and feel comfortable in social circles necessitated by my co-curricular activities. If on a scale of 1-10 with 10 to be the highest, I will give myself 7.

What major challenge did you face while in school?
The major challenge I faced was striking a balance between my academics and my co-curricular activities. 

What are your plans and aspirations?
I would like to further my studies in Mechanical Engineering with focus on Materials Science. Asides my professional pursuit as an engineer, I would like to be a Public commentator in a bid to engage my journalistic skills. 

Is there anything you would have loved to do as a student that you could not do?
I would have loved to be an active member of a Literary and Debating Society. I joined the Literary and Debating Society of my Faculty in my final year but I wish I did that in my first year.

As a graduate of Mechanical Engineering, what would you like to contribute to your field?
I would like to contribute to Mechanical Engineering in the area of Corrosion protection with authentic research to develop materials with high corrosion resistance and high economic value.

What is your advice to students?
They should maximize the abundance of opportunities which the Ivory Tower and other institution provide per second. Using my institution as a foe, an admission into the University of Ibadan is a chance to equip every aspect of their lives for the work which lies ahead of them in the future. The world needs a well-rounded individual and the Ivory Tower is a perfect habitat for preparation.


See you next week, by God's Grace....

2 comments: