Tuesday, November 11, 2014

STORY OF A LAW GRADUATE DENIED ADMISSION INTO LAW SCHOOL


This is a story of a young graduate from the University of Ibadan who claim he has been victimized and denied his basic right to education, as he was denied entry into Law School. We/I cannot categorically say he has been victimized or oppressed as I have not had the opportunity to inquire from the other party what actually is their own side of the story. Be that as it may, the person in question wants his grievances heard by every person from every place.

However, the victim/person in question, Kayode Bello popularly known as Kay Bello is a journalist and law graduate, who resides in Philippines at the moment and has in the past, presented a paper and represented Nigeria in a Climate Change Summit abroad. Kindly read his own side of the story with open mind without conclusion, while you all prepare your mind for the side of the story from the other party involved.


EXCERPTS IN KAYODE’S WORDS:

On June 20, 2013, I drafted a letter to Goodluck Jonathan, the Nigerian President of course on my Law School admission titled, " PETITION AGAINST UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN, NIGERIAN LAW SCHOOL, AND PUBLIC COMPLAINTS COMMISSION: DENIAL OF LAW SCHOOL ADMISSION," raising grounds against Univeristy of Ibadan, Nigerian Law School and Public Complaints Commission. My grounds can be summed up as follows:

1. GROUNDS AGAINST THE UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN:

A. That the authorities of the University of Ibadan, under the deanship of Prof Oluyemisi Bamgbose of the Faculty of Law, University of Ibadan, had made several efforts to deny me the basic tertiary education but all to no avail. I love to refer briefly to the start of my sojourn in the hands of authorities of the University of Ibadan from the day I was detained at the Sango Police Station from October 10 to 13, 2008, over hike in school fees, which was later reduced but I became a scapegoat in the hands of the University of Ibadan's authorities, with my subsequent rustication from the University of Ibadan on April 13, 2010, which I was reinstated after serving the full term of the suspension in second semester of the 2009/2010 academic session.

In my earlier post, I listed some people I know they have cases to answer, especially under the human rights law both nationally and internationally. One of them is Prof. Olufemi Bamiro, the ex-Vice Chancellor of the University of Ibadan under whose leadership, my arrest, detention and rustication were carried out without any apology.

B. That Prof. Oluyemisi Bamgbose had used the Public office she was entrusted with to victimize me in different instances with her efforts as the Dean of the Faculty of Law, University of Ibadan, as indicated on the letter I copied the then Honourable Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqayyat Rufai, who replied the letter on my rejoinder to the Dean of the Faculty, dated February 24, 2012, titled: " Rejoinder" written the Dean of Faculty of Law, Prof. Oluyemisi Bamgbose. The reply by the Honourable Minister of Education was dated 28th May, 2012, FME/HE/CU/1B/II/ 364, signed by Fayemi E.0, Deputy Director (TI- Universities) for Honourable Minister.

3. That in furtherance of Prof. Oluyemisi Bamgbose's acts of victimization and malicious dealings with me, she had been cited by the then Nigerian Law School's Director-General, Dr. Tahir Mamman, as the one that wrote on my reference form for Law School admission which made the Nigerian Law School refer my admission to the Council of Legal Education for further decision, as contained in the reply of the Director-General of the Nigerian Law School to the Public Complaints Commission on my petition to the Commission, with reference: CCE/ST/102,685/vol. 1, dated April 2, 2013 signed by B.S. Bello (Head, Admissions) for the Director-General stating as follows:

"Kindly note that admissions into the Nigerian Law School are carried out in collaboration with the applicants' universities through their various Faculties of Law. The Faculty reference form (an appraisal of applicant) duly completed by Deans of Law is very crucial and germane to the admission process.

Consequent upon the foregoing, Faculty reference indicated that the complainant, Mr. Bello Olusegun Kayode has issues from his University which require[s] reference of his matter to the Council of Legal Education for final direction on his admission. He will be communicated when the Council concludes the matter."

4. That from the foregoing, the Director-General of the Nigerian Law School had stated that the reference statement of the Dean, Faculty of Law, Prof Oluyemisi Bamgbose, in the University made the Law school deny me admission into the Nigerian Law school after I obtained admission form since 2012 with the sum over N20,000 (twenty thousand naira) which I earned through thick and thin, and my sweat.

It now becomes clear that since 2012, I have not been communicated by the Nigerian Law School, that even if justice will be done, this is how it will be prolonged and delayed, yet we proclaim a just society, whereas the mighty can use the instrumentality of government as weapon of victimization and oppression.

GROUNDS AGAINST NIGERIAN LAW SCHOOL

1. That there are inconsistencies and fallacies in the statement by the Director-General of the Nigerian Law School pertaining to the reply by him which further create suspicion of malicious denial of my admission.

2. That Dr. Tahir Mamman intentionally silenced the cogent issues I raised in my petition to the Public Complaints Commission stating:

A. That I was given admission initially by the Nigerian Law school, as indicated on its website on December 26, 2012: BELLO OLUSEGUN KAYODE; FULL ADMISSION

B. That a text message from the Nigerian Law School to me reads: " check our portal 2day 4 ur admission pls, received 23: 13: 50, dated 20-12-2012,"

3. That it is imperative for me to state that I am suspicious of the fact that the reason I was maliciously denied admission to the Nigerian Law School could be based on the fact that I called the attention of the Director-General of the Nigerian Law school to the irregularity in the Law School's admission process for the 2012/2013 admission where two students (then) with incomplete results were admitted by the Nigerian Law school. The two students were:

A. Alimba Chukwuemeka: Application No. X/ 2012/14129.

B. Opadeji Tolulope Omolayo: Application No. X/ 2012/14233.

The letter on the above irregularity is dated November 27, 2012 titled: " PERCEIVED IRREGULARITY IN LAW SCHOOL ADMISSION,'' addressed to Director-General, Nigerian Law School, Abuja, Nigeria, copied:

A. The Honourable Minister of Education
B. The Executive Secretary, National Universities Commission.
C. The Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission.
D. The Vice Chancellor, University of Ibadan
E. Deputy Vice Chancellor, Academic, University of Ibadan.
F. Deputy Vice Chancellor, Administration, University of Ibadan.
G. Senate Committee on Education, National Assembly.
H. The Public Complaints Commission
I. The Human Rights Commission, and
J. The Press.

Ladies and gentlemen, those I copied never returned the letter to me, or the Nigerian Postal Services never said my mails could not be delivered. It might be true that, "this is Nigeria", as many would always say, but does that mean justice should not be entertained anymore?

Then, if we succumb to the whims and caprices of the mighty, we are not only doomed, but coming generations would suffer our inactions and lukewarm attitudes, just as we are suffering the inactions of our leaders past, but if we fight we may win. If we don't, we have lost already.

4. That the Nigerian Law School or the Council of Legal Education ought to have concluded any admission query or case referred to the Council, before the close of admission exercise for the 2012/2013 admission. Hence, it is my submission that the then Director-General of the Law School apparently in connivance with the authorities of the University of Ibadan, under the deanship of Prof. Oluyemisi Bamgbose, had maliciously denied me admission into the Nigerian Law school.

5. That the inconsistencies in the statement by the Director- General of the Nigerian Law School in the third paragraph of the reply to the Honourable Commissioner, Public Complaints Commission, is an indication of intentional malice and fallacy created by the Nigerian Law School under the directive of Dr. Tahir Mamman, the inconsistencies and error committed read:

" Consequent upon the foregoing, Faculty reference indicated that the complainant Mr. Bello Olusegun Kayode has issues from his University which requires reference of his matter to the Council of Legal Education for final directive on his admission."

Thus, the following matters arose from this inconsistent and error-filled statement:

A. That Dr. Tahir Mamman had failed to state the issues I am having from my University.

B. That at what time did I have issues with the University that made the Nigerian Law School deny me admission maliciously after sending me text message that I should check their website for my admission?

C. That there is glaring grammatical error in the statement: "... has issues from his University which 'requires' reference of his matter to the Council of Legal Education for final direction on his admission." Sir, there is grammatical inconsistency and non-conformity with the rule of concord, where 'issues' as plural noun in the statement should attract plural verb, but it had attracted singular verb in statement as in: 'requires', what follows is: how many issues do I have?

6. That it is important to state that the denial was an act of malice and misuse of public office to victimize me, as if truly my case has been referred to the Council of Legal Education for final decision, then it follows that the fellow that went to mosque to preach about Our Lord Jesus Christ in the University of Ibadan, that caused religious uproar in the University of Ibadan ought to have been referred to the Council of Legal Education for determination of her admission, but she is now a lawyer. Her name is Adegunsoye Seun Olubunmi, with application number: X/2012/13740. She was first suspended by the then Vice Chancellor of the University of Ibadan, Prof. Olufemi Bamiro, and later rusticated for two semesters for such anti-Islam act. I refer the denial of my admission a double standard, unjust, and baseless.

GROUNDS AGAINST PUBLIC COMPLAINTS COMMISSION

That the Public Complaints Commission under the directive of the Honourable Commissioner, Public Complaints Commission, and acting on his/her behalf, K.S. Gaiya, for the Honourable Commissioner , failed to address all the fundamental issues I raised in my petition to the Commission. The Commission prejudicially advised me in its covering letter addressed me, thus:

" I am directed to forward to you the response of the Nigerian Law School to this Commission's letter dated 18th March, 2013, which was endorsed to you, and to advice you to patiently await the outcome of the Council's investigation on the case."

The letter was dated 22-04-2013, with reference PCC/01/2013/3/42.

My prayers to the Nigerian President who is now seeking re-election next year included:

1. That he should use his good office to prevail on the relevant authorities to give me my entitlement of being admitted to the Nigerian Law School without further delay.

2. That justice must be done even if heavens fall- fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Fellow Nigerians, this same letter was sent to the following as carbon copies:

1. The Honourable Minister of Education.
2. Senate Committee on Education, National Assembly.
3. Senate President, National Assembly
4. Speaker, House of Representatives, National Assembly
5. House of Representatives Committee on Education, National Assembly.
6. Chief Justice of Nigeria
7. United Nations' Department on Human Rights.

Also, the above copied persons never returned my letter, and Mr President never replied or responded till date, but when there was the need to strike Aminu Tambuwal, House Speaker, it was like the strike of a cobra.

Apart from these, I contacted a reporter at the level of the PUNCH Newspaper, but all to no avail. My colleagues and friends at the Nigerian Tribune knew about my Law School denial, but they kept preaching that I should soft-pedal or beg. Up till now, I don't know why I should plead or soft-pedal as if I was at fault. I have been wronged. I do not claim saint, but in my conviction, these fellows have used their offices wrongly and in depriving me the Law School admission for two years now.

Let me also add that I even requested the names of Law Graduates that were sent to the Nigerian Law School by the authorities of the University of Ibadan for the 2012/2013 admission, but I was denied such information by the authorities of the University of Ibadan, relying on the Freedom of Information Act, 2011. Such names would have included mine, but I was surprised I was denied.

In furtherance of my agitations, I called President Goodluck Jonathan's Special Adviser on Media and Communications, Dr. Reuben Abati on these issues. I was able to speak to him once, but afterwards he never picked my calls again.

With all these intent and actions, I am of the view that the authorities of the University of Ibadan may not include my name in the convocation list this year as Prof. Adewole Isaac has always been the main collaborator in all these malicious, unjust, baseless and victimizing endeavours. That is why the need for an outcry on the convocation or graduation.

I later met Late Human Rights Activist, Bamidele Aturu, who one time promised to take up my case pro bono, but later asked for filing fee. He did his best in making me swear to affidavit at the Federal High Court in Lagos, all that is needed now is the filing of case against relevant authorities, which I intend doing soonest. However, some had said cases of this nature may take donkey years. But in my own view, that must not and cannot deter me to pursue justice no matter the number of years.

While I consider a Court's process, the Nigerian Human Rights Commission is at hand whose services can be explored. Also, the United Nations Human Rights Commission can be petitioned, which really informed my post that some elements have case(s) to answer.

On the case of Mr. Ajayi, the University of Ibadan's Lawyer, this has to do more about the case of Chineye Okike of Classics Department, University of Ibadan, on how he handled the case of the rusticated students who were accommodated outside the institution's campus, while that of Mr Musa Tijani (ex Deputy Registrar, for students, now at the Post Graduate Unit of the institution) concerns how he conducted the affairs of the Students' Union election then, as the Chairman of the election commission, while Dr. Akintayo John of Faculty of Law, conspired with Prof Oluyemisi Bamgbose to victimize me .

On this note, it is important for me to defer my take on the 2015 elections till a later date when it would not be seen as that I am combining politics with law school agitations.

Nonetheless, I do not see President Jonathan Goodluck as having performed well enough to recontest. Let me add that there is no difference between our politicians and public office holders at home and those here in the Philippines as diplomats.

For now, there are ongoing agitations for humane and better treatment of Nigerians among others in the Philippines, especially the fact that I have forwarded a petition to the Nigerian Ambassador to the Philippines on the security of Nigerians here, about two weeks ago but no reply yet.

In all, I am more convinced to pursue my Law School admission legally using any legitimate or reasonable means of securing justice. A threat to justice anywhere, is a threat to justice everywhere. God bless us all. Thank you.


Edited by Richard Oluseye Anthony (@Roluseye) a graduate from the department of Philosophy, University of Ibadan

Contact Kayode Bello through his email: Finestkay2003@yahoo.com

Follow my Social Media (Facebook, Twitter and Google+) accounts through: @Roluseye

No comments:

Post a Comment